Commercial Development For Sale
- Fantastic Development Opportunity – Commercially or Residentially
- Proximity To Local Amenities
- Two storey substantial brick built former factory & Offices
- Yard area to the rear
- Suitable for conversion to flats
- Less than 0.5 miles to Huddersfield town centre
- New roof required
- Predominantly open plan space over ground & first floors
- Kirklees Council are keen to see re-development of the site
- No business rates payable
- 999 year lease - March 1908
Right Choice Properties are proud to present to the market this incredible development opportunity
The property located on Saint John’s Road, together with the A641 is one of the primary routes into Huddersfield town centre from the north. The property is approximately 0.5 miles to the north of Huddersfield town centre, on the western side of Saint John’s Road.
The property is ideally suited for conversion to residential apartments. However, the site is on the edge of Huddersfield town centre, and so is suitable for a commercial or mixed-use scheme.
Previously a Victorian-era woollen mill and dye works. The site is stone built, displaying an imposing 19th century facade, with the centre building known as Excelsior House.
In more recent times, the northern sections of the complex were last occupied by Strongbow Window Systems Ltd, whilst Excelsior House was last used by Bowers Bakery Service which closed in the 1980s.
Whilst permissions were granted in 2010 to 2018 to convert the main building known as Excelsior House into a residential and student accommodation building and other potential developments, the site has struggled to find a developer. Due to this and the weather conditions over the years it has led to parts of the roof collapsing, exposing the interior in arears.
The subject property is a substantial brick built former factory, later being used as offices. The accommodation is arranged over ground and first floors and is predominantly open plan, making this an excellent opportunity for conversion to a variety of other commercial and residential uses.
To the rear of the site there is a large yard area which can be accessed via the blue doors to the left-hand side of the front elevation.
The property is currently in a derelict state of building. Viewings will be held by appointments only.
Over the years It has had several applications which have been granted and with time have then lapsed. Kirklees Council Planning and Development department are keen to see re-development of the site and will look favourably on submitted planning applications for most uses.
All Planning applications and approvals can be found on the Kirklees address below -
- Partial demolition and erection of new buildings to form 42-bedroom student accommodation. (Application number - 2012/62/90043/W)
- Conversion of office and warehouse to 14 flats.
(Application number - 2004/62/91940/W1)
- Alterations to convert existing warehouse to 5 duplex apartments.
(Application number - 2021/62/92233/W)
Please contact Kirklees Council on 01484 414746 for further information.
PLEASE BE ADVISED THIS PROPERTY IS SUBJECT TO A BUYERS PREMIUM OF 2% OF THE SALE PRICE.
Get in touch